Saturday, January 17, 2009

Butterflies

Through my meandering courses through books and internet places and pages I find words and thoughts from other people that trigger my own thoughts. From an internet dating advert I read that the girl in question was looking for somebody to make her 'stomach flutter'. I don't even remember checking out the rest of her advert but it did get me thinking that nobody has made my stomach flutter or given me butterflies for a very long time and is that even possible with my black and withered heart. I don't think my heart is black and withered but perhaps the brain is more logical now or more cynical.

While reading 'Dance, Dance, Dance' by Murakami again I found one chapter to encompass the place that I felt I might just be at this moment in time and maybe that's why he's so successful around the world. It could be that any given time there will be elements in his writing that we can identify as human experiences regardless of time and place...The narrator is explaining how he likes and enjoys the company of a woman but when it all just tails off he wasn't so bothered and it all came down to that he never really needed nor wanted her.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't make more effort in trying to find somebody to be with but I've got used to spending time by myself and haven't actually felt butterflies for anybody and I have enjoyed the company of others but haven't found anybody that I really need or want.

4 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

Yep, that's what good writers are all about.
Have I told you about Tim Lott's The Adventures of Don Juan?
I probably did, I'm always raving about this book because I was so impressed. A male perspective over relationships but I found it so honest and poignant that I don't really know if there's a male/female point of view. It's probably just people.

I miss butterflies myself.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

lol It's not the adventures of Don Juan, it's "The Love Secrets of Don Juan". I suck at titles.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Secrets-Don-Juan/dp/0141009128/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232409852&sr=8-5

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

people are naturally afraid of change. It is just easier to stay in the now then to venture out into the unknown. Maybe you should take a chance life is short.

2:42 AM  
Blogger pandave said...

Black and withered? I am in awe of your heart, don't speak badly of it.

My opinion is that your life experience makes it so that you are more real, for lack of a better word, about things. I am amazed by all that you have gone through and for all of that i know that when your heart flutters, it will be the real deal and it will be fantastic for it.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home