Monday, September 29, 2008

2 down, 4 to go?

My leg injury turned out to be more severe than I'd imagined, I think in part that was due to the old me forgetting that I am on blood thinners which make bruising far worse.

The most likely thing that I have done is to suffer a very severe dead leg/charley horse. Judging by the pain and the descriptions online and wherever else I can garner information, its a Grade 3 one and that's going to take some time to heal. I've been told up to six weeks...so far I've just about managed to get through 2 weeks. I have this fist sized hard lump of damaged muscle at the top of my thigh that just won't loosen up and be reabsorbed.

So I've been mainly sitting in my bed with my leg extended trying to do what little mobility exercises I can so as not to let the muscles waste away completely. Although I suspect that's already been happening. I'm slowly reducing the intake of the painkillers that they gave me. Its not so much pain anymore but discomfort as my body tries to reabsorb the blood and the muscles and tendons stretch out.

Its given me time to read and reread books and to watch DVD's and it hasn't been too bad checking out from the outside world of which so far my only experience and participation has been visits to the hospital to check on the level of my thin blood.

I think my anxiety level has come well down by not having to worry about getting here or there in a hurry or concern myself with trying to find work because I wouldn't be able to attend an interview anyways.

I've probably said it before but I've also realized that I've left myself short in terms of friendships outside of 'work friendships' that very rarely if at all continue outside of the job when it has finished. I find that somewhat disappointing but am also aware that you can never really build a friendship with people that you work with when you're competing for the same job the majority of the time.

There are things in life I'd like to and quite how I get to achieve those is another matter. For example I have always wanted to go and live in America but am no longer quite so sure how I'll do that. I am beginning to think that perhaps I'd like to teach. I still harbour ambitions realistic or not to act. At this moment in time though I feel I need to explore the possibilities of art.

In the meantime it is becoming increasing nearer to the date of a new term at the local university where they are expecting me, crutches or not I'm actually starting to warm to the idea of studying again.

I've been debating whether to go Full Time or Part Time but am opting for the former to immerse myself into it and hopefully now older and maybe wiser to have a better university experience than when I was 18 all those years ago when I didn't rate studying.

Although I still wish I could get my shit together a whole lot more than I have.

2 Comments:

Blogger x said...

get well Finn.
It's great about your new studies. What are you going to study?
Work friendships are even rarer than work relationships. You can only be in the same room for 8+ hours with the same people doing the same things for so long. Personally, when the job is done i'd like to meet other faces, not the ones i've been staring at all day.
x



p.s what you asked me on my blog - it's the link that's wrong (it's http://thefroth.com/.com/ when it should just be http://thefroth.com)

6:26 AM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

do a little massaging! might help the knot of muscle/pain. or... lavender bath?

and indeed, what studies? throwing oneself into such things can be really cathartic.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home