Saturday, August 02, 2008

Content








Last week I went on one of my wanderings and visited Yorkshire Sculpture park.

Primarily I went because I hadn't been there and also because there is an exhibition of Isamu Noguchi's work for the first time in Europe. I had heard of Noguchi but had never really looked at his work nor read about him.

What I found was sculpture that in some cases just really did something to me, unfortunately the ones that I particulary like were indoors and photography wasn't allowed. I was almost reduced to tears by the work which is something that has never happened before. Somehow or for some reason the work spoke to me and touched me. Also some of his aims and beliefs struck me as something that I could identify in myself. I even took a picture of the board and if you read it, those of you that know me will probably find which bits I identified with. Hopefully some of you will google him and see some of pictures of his work.

Even wandering around the park by myself didn't seem lonely and now 5 days later I've started to realize that there in the grounds I felt some sort of contentment. I was actually at ease with myself and my environment in a strange park surrounded by sculpture and strangers all there to look as well perhaps it was the complete lack of threat in the atmosphere as well as the sun shining.

There is also a Noguchi museum in Long Island, New York and in Japan although quite a few pieces are currently at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

NOTE: A week has since passed and I am back to my old ways of trying to gee myself up this week.

2 Comments:

Blogger pandave said...

i'm going to say that this week the moon must be to blame. i too am dragging.

that said, your description of the sculptures is ver moving. i'm going to have to try to check out the museum in long island.

4:48 PM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

that sounds good! give me a week to do it, only b/c i graduate tomorrow and will have family over and will be getting up at 6 am (urghghghghghgghghgh) and it's going to be insane. ;)

but i like this photo assignment a lot.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home