Sunday, February 17, 2008

Teaching old dogs new tricks

This is related to the post below...in my case if I'm interested in something then I want to know how to do it better.

If I'm not interested I find it hard to get into the subject and despite knowing that I may need to, I don't. Is that my inner child saying 'no!' with the pouty mouth?

If I think back on the times that I have done well learning something it has been because I was interested and enjoyed the way it was taught.

I think respect for the teacher and the methods go along way to learning a new 'trick' but if you find it hard to build a rapport with the teacher then the subject will not go in because you can't maintain a flexible approach.

How was learning to everybody else? Were the best teachers stern or ones that found ways to raise interest and enthusiasm or is all down to the application of each particular student?

3 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

Aries hate to do what others tell them to do, even if other people simply suggested it. I know because I'm very Arian myself, despite being a Sagittarius.
You know it's all about the motivation and I suspect you'll only find it within yourself...Maybe you can challenge yourself? I don't know.

I always learnt more or less well, no matter how crappy the teacher was. I was a dutiful student and I liked studying, how nerdy...
Except German. My teacher was not only awful and uninspiring but also missed a lot of classes.

I wanted to ask you if you read Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. I read a shortstory there last night and I didn't understand a single thing. Wondering if you read it.

10:38 PM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

i read that collection of short stories and i loved some of them, others, not so much. i find that to be the case w/ his collections, though. seems normal to do so. i think i remember feeling strangely about the one... about the ducks? business ducks?

but i think that i learned best... hm. when i had an interest in the subject. i also think that i'm more motivated to learn things now as i am older. it may have something to do with being more confident? i used to be scared, in an introverted way, i think. now i just don't care if i don't know something (at least, i don't care as much), but i feel much more curious (about the world, about history, about art and music) as i've gotten older.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

Hi Kimberlina - I'm more or less in the middle of the book and most stories are very strange but some are interesting. I don't remember having read one about ducks yet but the one that drove me mad was the NewYork Mining Disaster, it was probably the 2nd story.
And the one that gripped me the most was the one where the kid lost his friend to the big wave.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home