Friday, October 26, 2007

Writing and Reading

I have loads of notebooks from over the years and while I find that I have been repeating myself as if I am asking the same questions, I know that I still haven't found the answers that I'm looking for.

Recently I've been reading books in a different way or rather I keep a piece of paper at the back and note the page number when I find a turn of phrase that I think expresses that longing or a possible answer to the questions that I have.

Perhaps I am looking for answers but also find a pleasure in the recognition of an emotion or sensation or experience in the act or deeds of another.

I have a strange aversion towards reading fiction by female authors almost as if I won't be able to identify with the characters that they have written because they are not men themselves. Whilst not a strict rule it is one that I seem curiously to stick to.

My intake of fiction also goes through various spurts of reading to periods where I will stop or read parts of Art books again maintaining the habit of noting interesting passages by the page number. Again this interest in art and the process I think is tied to this quest for answers.

There are certain writers of whom I will read their books as soon as they are published but I am overwhelmed by the sheer volume of books that often I don't know where to start in the fiction department.

I have friends who feel I should consider pursuing some sort of writing but I don't have a story to tell at this moment in time.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing that I'm meant to be writing in regard to being tagged but I did enjoy giving it some thought.

What I do know about blogging is that I enjoy the process when in the case of this post I have made this text up as I go along like a freeform ramble.

5 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

And it's not a bad ramble at all :)
I liked it!
It is incredible when books give us some answers. You think 'how could this person be thinking about this as well? how does he know how I feel? why is he talking to me?' haha

I find it funny that you don't usually read female authors. Not funny, but curious, interesting. Have you read Ali Smith's Accidental? I think certain books aren't exactly gendered, they're not feminine nor masculine. This one is like that because she put herself in the minds of children, teenagers, adults and I think she does a brilliant job.

Thanks for answering my tag!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I love other people's freeform ramble. Makes me feel better about my diatribe. Maybe a career with words is the one for you>

2:04 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, the whole thing with one of your favorite authors is that he didn't have any particular story to tell either. He starts out with the same basic character each time, then weird things start to happen.

I'll consult my mental library to see if I can come up with a female author you might dig.

I am the same in that I love to stumble across people who are having or have had similar things they've gone through, but I find it mostly in music. Reading tends to be more of an escape for me.

PS - Have you tried goodreads? Also, the answer is that there is no answer. My acceptance of that varies from day to day.

11:00 PM  
Blogger x said...

you were one of my first blogfriends. i've always liked your writing, even that hesitation that permeates most of it, or maybe because of that hesitation.

10:57 AM  
Blogger pandave said...

if everyone who rambled, rambled like this, i don't think folk would mind rambling so much.

asking questions and looking for answers is not a bad thing. can you imagine the alternative? stagnating - and that already doesn't sound so great.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home