Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Update

Last Saturday marked the start of the fottball season here in England at long last. I got to see Liverpool open their campaign with a win but not on Setanta Sports but in a pub showing Portuguese coverage (I know it was Portuguese because it was ‘futebol’ and at half time the stories were about Sporting Lisbon) but with the commentary playing on the radio from 5 Live. Now what that meant was that the commentary was about 5 seconds ahead of the action on screen. So you knew it was a goal before the action unfolded on screen although you had a feeling that Gerrard might score when he took the free kick although I must admit that I thought it was going to be 2 points lost until that moment. Yet again Liverpool were creating chances but just not taking them. Big, big game coming up on Sunday 19th against Chelsea at Anfield, I will in front of a TV somewhere.

Normally, I moan about not having nothing much to do on Saturdays but for once I was double booked! It was off to welcome home drinks for a friend’s sister in a converted barn/mill in Hertfordshire first where I’m pretty sure half the drinkers were under 21. What exactly are the drinking rules in this country now? Is it still 18 or is it 21 now? It was put to me by one of the other guests that if you were the bouncer and a young girl in a short skirt was at the door how likely were you going to be strict about asking for I.D. Had to admit I’d probably be lax as well when confronted by some bright young thing on a night out in heels and a skirt.

After an hour it was back in the car and an hour’s drive through London from North to South. For the longest time I haven’t been to a party and even when I had in the past I never really enjoyed them especially ones where I don’t know more than one person. I’ve never been that good at mingling and often find myself tongue tied at introducing myself to strangers at parties even when I’m introduced.

And so it was that I ended up in a hot crowded house full of hot drunk strangers in a part of London that I wasn’t familiar with at all. After getting lost in the car for a good thirty minutes south of the river which I do not know at all I finally found the place after being very surprised at just how busy and crowded the high street was with all the bodies spilling out from numerous bars and pubs. The party had a theme of B.C and some people mainly the girls made some effort at appearing as cavewomen, mythological goddesses and what not. Perhaps I could have tried harder to mix in but instead found myself on the periphery of things as the dance music thudded on around me and the chatter and smell of smoke filled the dark cramped little garden.
One beer later and after numerous glances skywards thinking to myself ‘I don’t like this, I want to get out of here’. I did give it an hour though but decided enough was enough and left.

I suppose I go parties optimistically in the off chance that I might the girl of my dreams and be swept off my feet or manage to sweep somebody off their feet. I don’t know if that’s a naïve or romantic way of looking at things or just plain delusional or as usual over analytical.

Guess what another party this Saturday but should be a much quieter affair and I’ll know more than one person but really I want to go this party to see the host’s dog who really likes me!

On the job front I had another interview last Friday but again didn’t get the job being told last night at 7 p.m that it wasn’t to be. Chin up and all that jazz but it’s getting mighty frustrating.

2 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

All in all, it sounds like a very crazy Saturday. Cave women...ah.
I watched the decisive match of the championship last year on that condition - listening to the radio and watching the Tv because all the games were simultaneous - and it was such an anti-climax to watch the goals after you knew about them.
Yes, chin up - it keeps you elegant!

6:23 PM  
Blogger gishungwa said...

"I might the girl of my dreams and be swept off my feet or manage to sweep somebody off their feet. I don’t know if that’s a naïve or romantic way of looking at things or just plain delusional or as usual over analytical."
This is cute. Sorry first time here of Pandave's. Off to the archives.Great Blog.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home