Friday, June 08, 2007

Friday 25th May 2007 Continued

I met S after work at 330 in the central court of the Pru and we headed out on foot to cross the river via Mass Ave bridge into Cambridge. Along the bridge I was shown the measurement that is a Smoot. Across on the otherside of the river in sweltering heat we walked on until getting to Pearl Paint where I was able to get a partial fix on art supplies actually I was pretty good in not buying too much although I probably could have.

Then it was onto Davis Square via the Red Line to meet TRM. What was interesting about Davis Square was how everything seemed to me quite independent from the movie theatre to many of the shops. That's not to say McDonalds and Starbucks hadn't got there, they had but there were still plenty of shops and restaurants that gave Davis Square its own identity. I was introduced to TRM and like S found myself quickly at ease and followed the two of them to one of their favourite stores called Magpie and then onto the first visit to Comicazi.

Dinner time! We went to Redbones and descended from street level into a darkened room and ordered BBQ and beers all around. I ate Buffalo Shrimp and Pulled Pork with Dirty Rice and Cole Slaw whilst not strictly speaking typical New England cuisine ;) it was very good and enjoyed by all of us.

Now fueled by food and beer we got as far as stepping back in time and almost contemplated playng pool or going bowling. Davis Square has almost everything in one place if you look and my guides knew where to look. Sacco's Bowl Haven has to be seen to be believed and unfortunately smelt too. I had never seen Candlepin bowling before so that was one surprise the other was that the interior looked like it had been passed by the ebb to time and looked like the 50's, there was something very appealing but also slighty sad about its appearance. I didn't take pictures because it just seemed weird to do so, it's hard to describe. Another one of those maybe next time I'll try it or not...TRM has said she might go back and take pictures.

So what are three adventurous explorers in Davis Square to do on a warm evening? Drink beer. The Burren in Davis Square provided the venue and the beers. Faced with beers that I hadn't heard of on draught I followed the lead of my two companions and was introduced to Samuel Adams Summer (that's the name of the beer!).

All in all a very good day and we set off back to Brighton to get some rest for Saturday.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Red Menace said...

A funny story about the beer you mentioned: Yesterday, I was having a drink with a friend in Central Square. She wanted another beer, so said to our waitress "I'd like a Sam, please." The waitress looks at her and says "Adams?"

Now you have to understand - in Boston, there is NO other Sam in beer. I think she meant to ask which kind, Summer or Lager, but instead inquired as to the surname of the beer.

10:48 PM  
Blogger fb said...

Depends what kind of bar you were in doesn't it? ;)

12:46 AM  
Blogger missy said...

Envious... I have two more weeks of work before I can go on hols. Boo. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home