Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What happens to our 'art'?

During our lifetimes we will all create pictures for school or at home growing up and some will be kept by proud parents then we get older.

We'll still continue our art practices during our teenage years but then there comes a cut-off point where we stop.

But art, craft and hobbystores persist and we all still have some sort of need to create...the impulse is still there a lot less in others but still there.

But what happens to all those attempts at art during our lifetime some pieces get thrown away, others kept for sentimental reasons, some given to friends and some just a personal expression for yourself.

Is it the physical act of doing of trying to express how you feel about something or someone that is the thing?

For some the expression is through music, poetry or other forms of writing...

Not too sure what i'm saying or asking here perhaps nothing but just rambling.

3 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

You mean what happens to the physical objects we created or what happens to our creative impulse?

The truth is when we're kids we're encouraged to draw, a lot more than we are encouraged to write, or make music, or drama, I think. Since kindergarden...here we are..drawing. I never liked drawing much but I did it in my freetime when I was too bored. But I guess I had that impulse to create, that's why I started writing stories when I was about 7. And I never stopped. I did stop drawing altogether though. I was very bad...
But this is interesting - I'm sure a big percentage of people stop drawing in their teenage years and never take up any form of creative expression. Maybe they don't have the impulse, maybe they're blocked...

4:34 PM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

i've been in this weird art/recycle/environmental/film is a waste/digital is ephemeral sort of mood lately. as you can see, i don't have a firm grasp on how i feel about it either... ;)

4:18 PM  
Blogger EmilySwain said...

i actually write poetry in a journal that i've kept since 2000...sometimes i use it as an outlet to relieve my frustrations or sometimes i use it when i just need to write. these days i haven't been doing it because when i reread my entries, i come off as some self-absorbed brat as opposed to a tortured soul who has actual insight to pass on to the ages. you can say i have a block up of sorts. i wonder at times what will happen to the poems and entries that i have written for 6 years...good question.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home