Saturday, February 10, 2007

Friend? Colleague? Competitor!?

I am still not online at my address due to numerous mix-ups and miscommunications or more simply fcuk ups with the ISP...hopefully by Wednesday as it is i am back in an Internet Cafe.

The following has occured to me:

My 'friends' are also my 'colleagues' but also my 'competitors' however all three are not necessarily compatible.

Colleagues are friends when you work together but when you find yourselves out of work they become competitors.

Competitors cannot be friends and so the friendship is an uneasy one and you only become colleagues when you are sharing the experience of working on the same job or being unemployed together.

I am going to have revise what constitutes 'friendship' in light of these current observations over the status and notion of friendship, competition and the nature of compatibility outside of the workplace.

I think too much perhaps but I feel I may be onto something with the realization outlined above.

I continue to feel wretched at the knowledge that 'friends'/'colleagues'/'competitors' are currently winning employment wheareas I continue to fumble along trying to pick up my spirits and try to grin and bear it at their good news.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I know what you mean, because I know what you do...but friends should be friends no matter what, and eventually with the real friends, perhaps their good fortune can carry over to you.

Miss you in blog land - hope you're back soon!

3:26 PM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

ugh, i hate not having internet access! hope you get it soon. maybe you're drinking good tea/coffee at the cafe, at least?

i definitely think the friend/competitor dynamic is a tough one. especially if one is in a slow slump. :( things will pick up. sometimes it's just a numbers game!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I know, that happens to me too - when college ended, suddenly, all my colleagues became my competitors. But at the moment I don't care much about that...as I don't intend to steal their jobs.

4:52 PM  
Blogger pandave said...

hey there fb, i hope you are back online soon.

i totally hear you with the whole dynamics thing. and i am not even sure if having friends who do something totally different from you would make a difference. a little since you would not be competing for the same jobs but then when you are not working and your friends are, it can be super stressful. however, thought it may not mean much, i am pretty positive that these things will all come together. but these things never happen quickly enough.

10:11 PM  
Blogger x said...

i've never had real friends at work. now that i work at home of course, it is even trickier. :)

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home