Tuesday, October 17, 2006

'You'll Never Walk Alone'

I sent my money off at the end of August for a fancard for Liverpool Football Club, what this card lets me do is buy tickets if and when they are available for Liverpool home games and certain Away games.

I think this is the third football (soccer) match I've been to this year but the first where I went not as a neutral but as a fan and supporter of the home team.

I had been to Anfield once as a boy but not since and had been saying that I would like to but i think it was a nurse during my last stay at the hospital who said she would go to games with her sister that finally made me do something about it and was it worth it?

A resounding yes from me and it's true what players say in their interviews about playing at Anfield for the first time. Well, I wasn't playing but before the start of each game the club plays 'You'll Never Walk Again' and imagine 42,000 people singing along. It really does make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. (The songs origins are from a musical and numerous versions have been recorded in the U.S but it was a recording by Liverpool band Gerry and The Pacemakers in the U.K that saw it become adopted by the fans of Liverpool Football Club perhaps like the origins of 'Tessie' being adopted by the Boston Red Sox)

The match itself was against Blackburn Rovers and resulted in a draw, 1-1. Liverpool huffed and puffed but couldn't get the victory which was a real shame. Players that particulary impressed me were Xabi Alonso (if I get a replica shirt, his name and number are going on there), Sami Hyppia, Jamie Carragher and Peter Crouch (except for his finishing). I'm sure Stevie Gerrard can play better than he did but he was still good, the same for Riise and Pennant. Then there were the players who disappeared like Bellamy and Finnan and Aurelio who I am convinced was sleepwalking! Liverpool weren't as potent as I had hoped and the jigsaw is still not right but I have faith in Rafa.

Would I like to go again? Absolutely.

Pictures to follow...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! We also have "Sweet Caroline" which one must sing along to :) Uh-huh...THAT song.

Sorry you didn't get a win :(

12:50 AM  
Blogger sophie said...

Next time buddy:)

2:28 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

It's great that the club has a particular song and mostly that everybody sings it.
Shame you couldn't watch a win but you got to see Benni McCarthy :) hehe

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home