Friday, September 15, 2006

Sushi & A Movie

Recently, I've had an urge to eat sushi but not the ready made prepackaged refrigerated kind that most people consider to be sushi in London nor the type that a chain serves on a conveyer belt.

No, no I wanted the real deal actually made by a Japanese chef in a sit down restaurant.

And so it was that I came to choose a restaurant after doing my reads of online reviews in Willesden of all places. This part of North West London is not one that is particulary trendy nor highly sought after in the scheme of things for the London postcode nazis.

It seemed like a strange place for a sushi restaurant especially on a street of kebab and fish and chips restaurant. In fact after a glance at the menu and its prices I would say its probably the most expensive restaurant there.

I justified my prospective expenditure by the fact that I don't drink, the price of my sushi is probably what most people spend on a night boozing.

On entering much to my surprise nearly all the tables had 'reserved' signs on them but we were allowed to sit as long we didn't stay for more than an hour and a half.

All my doubts and my fretting over prices were eliminated in one fell swoop when my Nigiri set came out and I tasted a superb pieces of Anago, Scallop, Bream and Tuna. There was a piece of salmon too which was good but I've never really considered salmon to be proper sushi, you'd actually have trouble finding it in Japan as sushi. I also tried Razor Clam for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.

So yes I would recommend 'Sushi Say' in Willesden Green and the chef was Japanese.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Then it was a short rail hop to the cinema to check out 'Little Miss Sunshine' which had great characters, great acting and a fantastic dance sequence the likes of which hasn't been seen since 'Napoleon Dynamite'. Although the dance sequence here was so funny that I had tears of laughter at the time.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I did manage to speak to four people about prospective work and sent 2 CV's but don't see any jobs with any of them in the very near future but hey at least they know I'm available.

I wish I didn't wrestle everyday with the notion that I should retrain and find a more stable vocation.

I'd much rather take a vacation if only I could print money.

11 Comments:

Blogger lady miss marquise said...

Ah yum, sushi! I am so lucky that we have amazing sushi restaurants on just about every street corner!

Haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine yet, but really want to.

Vancouver Film Fest starts end of the month and would love to catch some. Shortbus is supposed to be excellent...

1:37 AM  
Blogger pandave said...

ah sushi - my kryptonite. i went through a phase when i used to dream of it at night and wake craving it. i'm a little better now... i hope

little miss sunshine is on my list. i have heard only good things about it. hey! you're having my day.

and when you get around to the whole printing money thing, i want IN on that.

ps - my word verification was only getting back at yours. i think the lesson has been learnt. i have 5 letters clearly separated - no i's that look like j's, no q's that look like g's. and none of this eleven letters long nonsense!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are there lots for a vegetarian like me to have?

6:39 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I would never guess you'd find sushi in Willesden. Great detective work!

I'm going to sushi on my birthday next week .. but in Brighton. Hope my experience will be as good as yours.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks. I'm dying for some sushi now! If I'm ever in Willesden...

2:41 AM  
Blogger sophie said...

I loved Little Miss Sunshine.

I love sushi.

I love your blog:)

3:56 AM  
Blogger Oscar Grillo said...

London post code nazis?!!!...Wonderful!!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

sushi and willesden just dont seem right when you put them together.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I'm ready to be crucified here when I say that...I've never eaten sushi. I'm not terribly curious about it neither, maybe one day.
I'm glad you're getting yourself out there in the job scene!

4:10 PM  
Blogger miss goLondon said...

i saw LMS in LA the first weekend it opened. it has gotten mixed reviews, but i loved it. i thought the cast did Ensemble with a capital E. being able to laugh with, not at, our disfunctions is a lost art.

oh and sushi..i have been craving because it is off my diet until pay day. maybe next week.

1:15 PM  
Blogger "the b" said...

what's your profession?

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home