Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Daytripper

















Yesterday, I went out in the car and discovered 'Giantwow Volume 1' is a great CD to drive to.

My destination?

Hell and nothing was going to stop me!

Just kidding...I really did go for a daytrip today in the car and the Cd was great driving music. I drove out to the Essex Coast which should be a two hour drive but took a little bit longer because the World's Most Expensive Carpark aka the M25 had roadworks on it. Once clear of that it was plain sailing to Walton-on-Naze.

I have also after prompting by a friend discovered that a 'naze' is a promotory or headland.

I'd even done tide chart checks on the net so that it would be lowtide when I'd get there. I have since found out more about Walton-on-Naze since coming home but I went because the inner geek in me wanted to find fossil sharks teeth which according to a couple of sites I consulted on the net were plentiful. Other highlights not tested by me is Walton Pier which is apparently the second longest in Britain maybe next time I'll check it out...

Plentiful my a***! Ok I suppose what with the warm weather we've been having lately maybe the sea's not churning it all up like it could but I came home with possibly bits of metal and no sharks teeth. Also don't wear trainers that you want to keep clean (guess what I'll be doing at some point on Tuesday!) because its not an entirely sandy beach since its mostly London Clay!

Perhaps because it was Monday but it was strangely quiet along the cliffs and I didn't see too many people there while I walked and searched...I parked at the top of the 'naze'/cliffs to you and I then walked down the steep steps to beach level or naze/cliff face level and walked along the beach between the naze/cliff face and the retreating sea at low tide which was at 1722!

Still it was good to be out and about in a location other than a town or London with their clone streets. I didn't see a single Starbucks, Next, Boots or M&S around Walton or Frinton.

Also nobody seemed to be in that much of a hurry, mind you I don't think I interacted with a single person while I was there. In fact I didn't even have a bite to eat or a cup of coffee or an ice cream. I made no small talk or even said 'thank you' to any shopkeepers while I was there. I've realised I spoke to nobody while I was there only a brief phonecall on my mobile phone and that's all...

It did occur to me though it must be unbearable growing up around there. As quiet as it is there perhaps it's just too quiet.

Will I go back? Probably...when I don't know yet.

8 Comments:

Blogger x said...

great pictures Finn.
My favourite is the one you have titled walton 019.

i got A Wild sheep chase on Friday and i am going to start reading it tomorrow.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Did you do the mud-bath thing like missy?

For the world's most expensive carpark and endless road repairs (and scandal...oh, the scandal) you should look to Boston's Big Dig :(

Happy you're still enjoying the music!!!

4:17 AM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

wow, it looks so beautiful out there. how strange to walk on clay and not sand at a beach-like environment. hmm..

oh, what i wouldn't give for some fresh air right now! being stuck at work under these lights is rather depressing.

4:03 PM  
Blogger missy said...

Stephanie beat me to the mud bath comment! Hey how does one get a Giant Wow Vol 1 CD??

I kinda want one...

So hot again today... I can't wait for Autumn!

missy xx

4:49 PM  
Blogger fb said...

Chloe

Thank you...and I really did find it that way it wasn't set up at all.

Stephanie & Missy

Come on its England! Who would cover themselves in clay from head to toe outdoors in public when there are no facilities to wash it off afterwards.

Kimberlina

But you have Florida at your feet or has my geography gone wonky!?

9:21 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Splendid, fb!

The fine mud reminds me of the Bay of Fundy; we have to check tide charts before we go there as well.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

A beach of clay... This is odd to me.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

Daytrips and trips in general are very healthy for the body and soul, I think. Especially when living in a city, a visit to a quieter place is usually pleasant. Even if it is just a way to make us appreciate our home some more, lol, but seriously, it does me the world of good. :)

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home