Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Are you settled?

I still have a growing sense of restlestness and in the great tradition of male unrest and aimlessness have found myself wondering where to go and where I'll be going to.

I am trying to enjoy the ride and being like Peter Pan does at times have its joys but my internal grown up voice and society and the damn television make it perfectly clear that there is a certain expectancy to ones achievements or lack of by certain ages.

And try as might I cannot always ignore desires and aspirations that are put into my head by advertising, fiction, non-fiction and observation.

However, what do I do to change my situation not alot or is it a case of raising the bar far too soon or do I need to step out from my shell and to just do it?

As another blogger has put it, it really is hard trying to balance 'Being with Doing'.

Back to the question of the title of this post...Are you settled?

I am not so sure that I am settled at all, I know I'm not living where I want to be nor how I want to be and Im not entirely sure what I want to be doing.

But hey that means I know something!

ADDED AT 1745 - Learned of an upcoming job today will email CV...

9 Comments:

Blogger kimberlina said...

oh goodness. hardly settled. hardly-hardly.

i kind of wish i were.

done w/ library school. lots of time on my hands.

i think i'm sort of realizing that one will never be settled. or maybe i've just never been where i want to be, ever. that's not a bad thing. maybe you just have to find your zen and be able to enjoy the ride to "being settled."

because i'm sure i've got more than 5 years until i get there.

if not longer. *sigh* :)

3:17 AM  
Blogger Steve House said...

I thought I was stuck somewhere so went somewhere else. I dont think this is my calling but its a pleasant change at the moment. Of course your circumstances are diffeent and so I can only advise to make changes when the time is right. Good luck with the job

(p.s. from your previous post I love that story and all of Kafka's work)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I'm in no age to be settled...I can't be, but sometimes it's like I am, which isn't good.
I was thinking about that the other day - what does age mean after all? It shouldn't mean much, because it's not like you died when you reach 60 or 70, it's so relative, you only are the age you feel, right? But then, yes, it's the society that catalogs you according to your age. I really hate that.
Good luck with the CV!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I've been feeling the same way lately. Glad I'm not alone. :)

PS Good luck with the job!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Christopher D. Bate said...

Everyone gets like that. I'm feeling it right now!

Best of luck with everything

1:51 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I wonder if I'll ever be settled. I think instead maybe I'm coming to accept the unsettledness of my life. I'd like to find love (sooner, rather than later) but I'm pretty sure I don't want or need the marriage, or the children, or a house in the suburbs/country that people my age seem to aspire to. I guess I'm going through more of finding a way out of the things I want to leave behind, like roommates and my crap apartment, the nothing-nowhere job, etc.

The being and the doing will balance themselves if you let them.

Good luck with the job prospect. Once again, I say "You can do it!"

PS - Here are the knitted zombies

4:16 PM  
Blogger lady miss marquise said...

Settled. Hmmm... I'm making an attempt, but settled seems to still be too far away...

In constant state of flux, I suppose. With just the right amount of denial, and a healthy dose of fun.

good luck with job, i'm soon to be doing the job hunt all over again. *sigh*

7:17 AM  
Blogger miss goLondon said...

i think it is great that all comments here are "not settled". perhaps it is a myth, this "supposed to be settled". i am not. i want to live in yet another country, find a better job, etc. when there are social and family expectations thrown at you constantly, it is terribly difficult to not judge yourself. just try not to! and thanks for the quote! i think that life is about finding your balance of the Be/Do, the fulcrum of which changes at different times of your life.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

People who say they are settled are not being true to themselves. Are we ever really really settled? I think this is an elusive wish.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home