Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Of holes, sloping floors and late late cancellations.

Ten days ago the ground outside my parents house sank under the weight of the dustmens' lorry or rather created a dent in the tarmac. This was due to bad drainage undermining the integrity of the road surface this then resulted in a gas pipe being cracked and the evacuation of the house for a day. Gas pipe then lead to water pipe damage and the hole has been growing as they dig up more and more of the road to try and repair the pipes. It seems like there are more workmen each day jumping in the growing hole in front of the house. I have a feeling the geyser they created by accident last Friday was not meant to be seen but they got it under control. The hole is now so big that cars cannot drive past as the whole width of the road is cordoned off, I shall try and post some photos.

Today I went to visit my friend and see the new house she and her fiance have bought which potentially will be a very nice house when all the work is done. Perhaps its due to witnessing the ground falling apart outside but I wasn't that shocked on seeing their house needing so much work or I too could picture how good a space it will become. Needless to say the living room has boards torn up and the upper floors are sloping at the moment. But I do believe they'll see it through and get it levelled off and make it into a great house.

Then it was into London to meet up with another friend who cancelled 15 minutes beforehand by text message. I should be more annoyed and put out but I wasn't. I didn't get mad, didn't lose my temper just thought 'Oh well' and went off to have a Special Pho on the way home at a restaurant on Greek Street and then browsed the CDs and DVDs in HMV and Virgin, of course none of the stuff I wanted was part of either stores mega sales and I returned empty handed.

Not really sure if there's a point to this post other than to make a list of my day, I realise it doesn't offer any great insights into my personality nor viewpoints on anything in particular but it felt good so I wrote it.

10 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Be wary of those sinkholes, mate. I remember there was one near my neighborhood that enveloped the entire house; it just sank into the ground and collapsed.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I'd be mad at that friend! 15 minutes is not decent...But perhaps you had a better time on your own, doing what you felt like doing.
Have a good day!

4:55 PM  
Blogger miss goLondon said...

i am so sorry about your parent's trauma. sometimes life here seems like a constant revolving door of crap thrown at you.

and i am a fan of posts being not all of one type. the journal entry is a good one!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I enjoyed your post; they don't always need to have a point. Rambles are good.

I have to confess that your description of the growing hole at your parents' place made me chuckle; I really don't htink it's funny for them, but your description...[still chuckling].

Have a good day :)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Christopher D. Bate said...

I ramble all the time on my blog. It's just the way it goes.

1:43 PM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

sinkholes scare me. we get them here in florida. flash sinkholes where entire homes are eaten up. eek! not quite the same, but very scary (to me). hope the noise doesn't wake them up too early! i hate when construction wakes me from my deep drooling slumber.

7:58 PM  
Blogger x said...

i know you'll hate me for saying this, but Finn, you are so sweet. :)

10:28 AM  
Blogger missy said...

You can tell us anything :-)

I just blogged about something I told myself I'd never say in my blog - I put dirty laundry in the wash hehe.

Home soon! x

10:40 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Any closer to being fixed? It sounds like they're using the same "experts" we have working on the Big Dig here in Boston (completion date...2050?) Hope they manage to at least keep the hole from getting any bigger.

mmmmmmm, Pho :)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Hello Finn :)
I just came to wish you a Happy Easter weekend and to tell you that I don't mind lurking from blog friends at all; comments are not always necessary.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home