Friday, January 27, 2006

House Arrest

Since I am essentially under house arrest there's not much to tell. No visitors, playing the same video games again, surfing the net, walking outside weather permitting, DVD watching, television watching...doodling and scribbling...

I did get taken to the cinema on Monday though and saw 'King Kong'. (I have essentially become an old man or a small child again...if I want to go anywhere I have to be taken there) I thought the performances were all very good. Interesting casting in Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody in that they're both very lanky actors...which was quite refreshing.

I blame Ahnuld and Sylvester for turning Hollywood and societal body archetypes into ridiculous ones and thus spawning the gym explosion worldwide. Case in point in 1984 in 'The Karate Kid'...Elizabeth Shue was a normal healthy looking blonde now she's super thin...our hero Daniel (Ralph Macchio) was slight of build with skinny arms...then along came 'The Terminator' and thus was born the notion of 'the body beautiful...'

Ok rant over back to 'King Kong'...some of the special (de)effects were a bit defective in my opinion and the film was way too long. I thought the ending was common knowledge like 'Titanic' but evidently not judging by the sobs in the back of the theatre at the end of the film!

Seems like everywhere the weather has turned cold judging by reports on assorted blogs and we've all found it hard to find inspiration or anything of amusement or of note to write about.

11 Comments:

Blogger lady miss marquise said...

Oooh yes, it's very cold out there.

*nods in direction of 5th floor window*

I'd stay inside with some hot chocolate, some great books, and an invisible dog to curl up at your feet...

(PS - Before the house arrest, did you manage to get to see the Schweppes Photographic Portrait Prize at the National Portrait Gallery? I went last weekend and it's very good...)

5:46 PM  
Blogger missy said...

If you ever ran out of people to take you out...

7:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It doesn't matter whether you know the ending or not. I cried my head off at the end of King Kong (2005) and I had seen the original version just a couple weeks beforehand. Throughout this film, I felt more connected to the ape, so that when things got emotional at the end, I guess I just lost it. :)

8:12 PM  
Blogger fb said...

Ladymissmarquise

No chance of getting out at the moment not doing public transport yet...maybe another three weeks or so...


N.Missy

I might take you up on that...in three weeks or so!


Cinthia

It didn't grab me so to speak...I thought it was good and i'm glad I've seen it...I thought more jobs for Orcs when I saw the inhabitatnts of Skull Island!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

hot chocolate, a great book and a heated mattress pad, that's all that's required, mate...some tulips might be nice as well...

1:48 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm not under house arrest, yet I made the same travels every day. Nothing new to see here folks. Home, work, other work, home.
I don't think there's anything attractive about the Arnold/Stallone sorts of bodies or, for that matter, the skin and bones women - I think people should look like people. Well, speaking of work...off I go.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I haven't seen it, and I'm just not that interested by it enough to care. Hype has a negative effect on me. Besides three hours is too long in a theater!

Speaking of endings to remakes, a lot of people thought the ending of War of The Worlds was bad and anti-climactic, yet that was how the original ended!

2:48 PM  
Blogger missy said...

Cool! Maybe I'd know how to walk by then... I'm still crawling as you can see!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I'm not in house arrest but I have nothing to tell either..so I also end up talking about music, or films, or books. You probably wish you could go out more, some people wish they could stay in longer...that's us!
I've always admired extended comments on films - my analysis of films is usually: loved it/hated it and nothing else. :)

9:50 PM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

hmm, house arrest? baking always makes me feel better when i'm stuck at home.

*hughug*

3:25 AM  
Blogger lady miss marquise said...

Not sure if you've seen this, it's very silly for the first few minutes nad made me giggle.

Hope it helps the boredom, even if only briefly!

http://cbacca.blogspot.com/

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home