Friday, January 13, 2006

'The Brooklyn Follies' by Paul Auster

My first book review of 2006.

This tells the story of Nathan Glass in remission from lung cancer and estranged from his daughter and his return to Brooklyn, once there he finds redemtion in the life and lives that suround him.

It's written in a deceptively simple style but has a turn of phrase or observation that is very good. While certain events do seem a little bit too pat, it all works quite effectively. Its not a deep thinking book but entertaining...if you liked 'Smoke' the movie version it'll remind of that in its jauntiness. I can't believe I wrote jauntiness...how old am I?

I could imagine certain actors playing some of the parts of the characters and I don't know if the visualization of Brooklyn is made easier by watching so many films set in New York...

So it was enjoyable and well written but not amazing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

I read one of his books recently: the oracle night, I think that's the name. It was probably the one I liked best from his collection because generally I think he lacks a lot of creativity - from the books I read he always repeats the same ideas over and over: the red notebook, people called Green, White, Black, etc. I think the guy is a bit of a fraud.

2:38 PM  
Blogger dana said...

Sounds like a good book to read when I am taking a break from the complex readings I do for school. Simple and well written.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home