Friday, December 30, 2005

Marching on the Spot

The main part of recovery after heart surgery is to start reusing your heart by exercise the best form of which is to walk slowly at first and to increase both time and distance over the next few weeks. However the current cold weather is not particualry condusive for anybody to want to walk outside.

After a call to the physiotherapy department at the hospital I was advised to march on the spot or to use a stationary bike. Well I don't have a stationary bike and its a bit early to go swimming.

I need to march for 10-15 minutes or until I am short of breath. Every minute seems to last an eternity! Yet I suppose its no more ridiculous than walking on a treadmill in a gym for 15 minutes. It is a weird thing to do though...if you ever get bored give it a go. I have to march at least two or three times a day...

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

You need to march while listening to music. Put on some Beastie Boys and you'll have a blast. :)

Seriously though, best of luck in your recovery. It will take time, but you'll get there in the end.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I never really understood the use of treadmills, except if it's really cold or offensive outside. If I want to go for a walk, I'd like to see some scenery, not my TV screen.

3:34 PM  
Blogger x said...

Finn buy a bike (there are some simple ones that are not expensive and you don't really need anything extraordinary) and do it while watching TV. I do it all the time and it's fun.

5:51 PM  
Blogger fb said...

Marching costs nothing...the weather will turn for the better and I'll go outside.

I put headphones on, fix my gaze on a spot on the wall and just do it.

I'm not complaining its just what I do.

There might be a bike at my grandparents or did that get thrown out a decade ago...

6:59 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

They should have a video you can play on a TV, with a fabulous walk somewhere really pretty - a tropical beach, a path in the woods, etc. It would be helpful for treadmills & marching in place. Much better than a spot on the wall, don't you think? Why does such a thing not exist?

2:43 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Do you have any marching band music? I think this might be fun. Can you search iTunes for marching band themed stuff?

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home