Friday, December 23, 2005

And so it has been done.

This year has been one of the strangest for me.

It started badly in that the unstable industry that I work in and was starting to make a little headway in was drying up and what jobs were there I couldn't get on.

Then it got interesting in June when I was told that I had a problem with my heart.
It was literally broken and it would need an operation to fix it. Iwould need aortic root and valve replacement. I spent the next five to six months seeing various doctors waiting for my surgical consult and then date for surgery. I received a date for sugrery which was then cancelled one week prior due tue to illness on my surgeons part.

Finally last week I had my operation and am now in possession of a mechanical St. Jude Aortic Valve.

So, yes I tick. I sound like kinitting needles, its not loud enough to be heard under normal circumstances perhaps in the quiet of night. It is rather disconcerting.
(So I won't be becoming a Ninja anymore!)

I have an 11 inch or 28 cm long vertical scar down the centre of my chest and will have to take anti-coagulants for the rest of my life.

No, it is not a pacemaker.

It should take three months to make a full recovery.

I was going to try and write a more colourful post to explain my wherabouts in the last ten days but in the end came up with this.

So it now a case of taking things easy and buliding my strength up for 2006.

It is one chapter that is hopefully finished now.

So Merry Christmas to all...

10 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

That's a really rough 2005 :( But you made it! And you met all of us (gestures with hand to indicate blogfriends)

2006 will be your year, or rather, the start of your years, because I hope there are many, many good ones.

Merry Christmas back to you too! I'm sure I'll be back around to wish you Happy New Year at some point too.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Open heart surgery? Yikes, that must be rough.

Merry Christmas to you, Finn, and I hope you get your strength back quick!

4:44 PM  
Blogger x said...

i am very happy you are back.
we all have scars there, it's just that yours show.
2006 is going to be so much better, that's certain.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Glad to hear that you are back and I wish you all the best for 2006.

PS If you had your op at the Brompton then rest assured that you were in great hands.

5:59 PM  
Blogger fb said...

Stephanie (Boston):

Thanks for the Ninja Training School advice but I think I won't be attending now...;)

Thank you for everything this year.


Erriku:

It is what it is.

Thank you.


Chloe:

Thank you.


Stephanie (Brighton, London, Canada):

Yes I was at the Brompton, what do you know about it? The plot thickens.

Thanks.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I know some of the surgeons professionally and have great respect for them. I hope your recovery goes smoothly and that you've got lots of friends and family helping you out in the meantime. Have a merry Christmas. :)

8:20 PM  
Blogger Pepsicology said...

"It is what it is"? huuuu..I guess it was quite a posh hospital because that's the last fashionable expression in the elite circles, isn't it?
Anyway, well done for coming back alive Finn, I do appreciate it very much and I'll also be glad if from now onwards you keep up an optimistic mood that will surely speed up your recovery process.
My ex-fiance had a big heart problem from birth and he was perfectly all right so, I can asure you that with a bit from your part you'll do excellent!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

11:08 PM  
Blogger missy said...

The good news is you will be reborn in 2006!

Welcome back and here's to good health for years and years to come!

2:09 PM  
Blogger kimberlina said...

*hug* goodness, it has been a strange long year for you! recover well and rest as much as you can. vitamin e is supposedly good for scars.

how curious that you tick and click like knitting needles... seems like it would be rather soothing.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

But you're here to post another day, and that, my dear, is where it counts.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home