Tuesday, November 29, 2005

'Sin City' DVD

'Sin City' Dir: Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller Starring Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Benicio Del Toro, Rosario Dawson, Jessica Alba, Devon Aoki

I missed this in the cinema for various reasons and I joined a DVD rental service when the film was released on DVD. Finally I got a copy from my rental company.

I'd read some of the graphic novels back when they first came out in TPB form and I remember the distinctive art that was unlike anything else around then and now.

Its always interesting to see how what started as 2D would look brought to another medium. Batman, Superman, Spiderman, The X-Men, Fantastic Four...

What Robert Rodriguez achieved is very clever in bringing Frank Miller's vision to life and the distinct look of the original graphic novels is recreated cleverly and somewhat faithfully.

The performances are uniformly good and it is indeed Mickey Rourke that steals the show as 'Marv' battling Frodo (Elijah Wood) gone very very bad!

I'm surprised that the visual tricks employed here have not been used for flashbacks or dream sequences because the hyper retro reality does give an other wordly sensation.

Arguably I feel this is one film made prinmarily using green screen techniques that does work but real physical sets are not in danger of disappearing entirely yet.

So, yes I am glad I saw it and would recommend film fans see this for its use of technology and its realization of another visual medium.

7 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I thought that was an amazing film to watch, but it was a bit too long. I wonder whether its cinematic achievements will be recognised at the Oscars this year.. Hmm.. :)

10:14 PM  
Blogger x said...

Finn i didn't like it at all.
I know it was supposed to be grotesque and everything but it looked really cheap.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Walter said...

Wait for the Director's Cut dvd release...

1:50 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I haven't seen it, but from the promos it looks technically impressive, yet I'm concerned the style of it would be overwhelming for me after an hour or so.

Sensory overload, so to speak.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I haven't seen it yet, but do mean to. I've heard it's visually excellent, but perhaps they shouldn't have remained so true to the graphic novel dialog?

6:46 PM  
Blogger miss goLondon said...

to me, the movie came across as a display piece rather than a well-oiled machine. Like a show home, which has all the bells and whistles but you would not feel comfortable living there. Which did not preclude me from enjoying it, which i did inspite of the sensory overload. also, i saw rosario dawson's thighs which did have cellulite, thus proving gorgeous women can have great bodies and cellulite.

4:49 PM  
Blogger missy said...

I got the boxset in amazon because although I have read all the Sin City books, I don't really have my own copy.

I thought the film was good and I am glad that it was faithful to the comic books. I like that watching it was like reading the graphic novels all over again.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home