Friday, November 25, 2005

'Fear & Trembling' DVD

'Fear & Trembling'/'Stupeur et Trembleme'(2003)Dir: Alain Corneau, starring Slyvie Testud Kaori Tsuji

Set in Japan this follows Amelie, a young Belgian woman who having been born in Japan and lived there until she was 5 has set her heart on returning one day to be Japanese.

Unfortunately the Japan in her mind is far different from the reality of trying to work in Japan where her Western ways are at odds with the Japanese way.

The performances are terrific and the film is engrossing despite taking place pretty much in an office block! There are no shots of Mount Fuji, or geisha or priests or any of the usual travelogue montage money shots...here we have office politics.

This is a link to the US site for the film:

www.cinemaguild.com/fearandtrembling/

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

It sounds really interesting. The movie web site describes it as a cross between "Lost in Translation" (which I loved) and "The Secretary" (which I have not seen, but mean to at some point). My local video rental place is sadly lacking in all but most mainstream movies, so it might be difficult to find :(

I have not finished the movie I started last night, but will give it a thumbs up or down once I'm done. For now, it's off to work for me.

4:21 PM  
Blogger missy said...

I like it when people write about films in their blogs. Now, I can have it on my rental queue on lovefilm. Thank you!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home