Friday, October 28, 2005

'Shopgirl' (Film No 2 at the Film Festival)

'Shopgirl' directed by Anand Tucker Stsrring Steve Martin, Clare Danes, Jason Schwartzman

I'd read the novella 'Shopgirl' by Steve Martin a few years back so was quite interested to hear they'd made into a movie. This is a strange movie for all the rough and ready technique this film is technically so clean in its lighting, its production design that it becomes other wordly...I guess its meant to be contemporary but it just didn't gel. I'm not sure what to call the film...a drama, a romantic comedy, style over substance?

I didn't fall asleep or anything but then I knew the story and there were funny parts but it didn't really grab me. It came and went, the score was too loud at times, the narration not so necessary...its film, it should be a show me not tell me medium.

Again the director was there with Clare Danes and they spoke about the film, it was interesting to hear what his influences were but I'm not familiar with his work and it seems he will be the one to direct 'His Dark Materials'

1 Comments:

Blogger Pepsicology said...

I heard that the future of cinema is going to be mute movies again, you know, like at the beginning of the cinema industry. Before it was for lack of appropiate technology, in the future is going to be because of all the opposite. The underlying idea was: "with so many great special effects who will want to listen to the actors?"...

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home