Friday, October 21, 2005

'Elizabethtown'

I went to the cinema for a change today and saw Cameron Crowe's film 'Elizabethtown' as part of The London Film Festival. It'll be on general release in two weeks time but I felt like seeeing it so I went.

If you've seen 'Jerry Maguire' then you'll be able to tell this is another film by the dude that made 'Jerry Maguire'. It's definitely got the same sort of vibe about it. The performances aregood and you want to see what happens next. Its a charming story of trying to find who you are and connecting with people.

I wondered why British filmmakers don't make films of this ilk instead we get Mockney gangster films made by people who only go South of the river for the Tate Modern or to East London to get a curry on Brick Lane and whose ideas of gangsters is based on films of American gangsters.

(Why is the South quite often the bad part of the city...South London, South Central Los Angeles, Southside Chicago...South Boston?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I've read that it's a lot like Garden State-which I really liked a lot-is that true? Maybe I'll go see it then, next time I ever have time for a movie. What did people ever do before movies were released to video? What did people ever do before there were movies?

2:24 PM  
Blogger fb said...

If there is to be a genre of 'guy has early life crisis and returns home and meets girl' then both movies definitely fit this.

Both have good soundtracks although I don't own either...

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home