Thursday, October 27, 2005

Can men & women truly be friends?

Can men & women truly be friends?

I always feel a twinge of jealousy when I hear a female friend/aqquaintance is going on a date.

There is part of me that feels insulted and wonders why it's not me and then it passes but nevertheless it happens.

Is it a merely brotherly type reaction or is it more?

Is it me having a fear of losing the affection of that person or secretly wanting to be with that person but not being spurred into action until somebody else has done what I want to do.

Yet you can get on well with somebody mentally but not have a physical attraction.

'In a beautiful world
I wish I was special
You're so ***** special

But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doin here?
I don't belong here'

'Creep' - Radiohead

3 Comments:

Blogger x said...

With the best of my friends i find there is some kind of physical attraction, nor sexual but still, physical. And i also mean female friends. I don't think you can really establish deep bonds without this kind of feeling. At least I can't. I don't want to have sex with my friends, that's not what i mean. But i want to touch them and be around them and see them and i love the sound of their voice. That's physical isn't it? The mental thing comes after that.

11:58 PM  
Blogger lady miss marquise said...

When we were looking for a new flatmate, a friend pointed out that if we had another woman in the house I would get a bit territorial as I'd been the only female in the house. It's not that I fancy any of the boys in the house, it was just they were my boys. I like being the only girl. It sets me apart from them.
But in terms of being friends with members of the opposite sex, I'm stumped. I have great male friends, and I know I'd never want to get involved with any of them. But as Chloe says, I do treasure them, being in physical contact, albeit only an occassional hug, or just the sound of their voices. I think I've always held my friends in greater respect than any of my relationships and that's where it all goes a bit pear shaped...

12:18 PM  
Blogger Pepsicology said...

I slighly disagree with the comment above. For me there is no way of having such thing as male friends. I am a woman and I can have as many female friends as I wish, also having such wonderful female friends as I already have; Really, who needs to make their existence more complicated trying to turn a man into a friend?. Men are men: you can't ignore their deep link to their...sexuality? :-)

You are right Flyn, not to worry at all.

Re. Chloe's comment I can see your point: physical contact is important among humans independently of the gender and I see you were commenting on that, not in any sexual interest associated to it.

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home