Saturday, September 17, 2005

Me, You and the nature of things

Me, You and the ways we talk these days. Would I be talking to some people that I do if weren't for the internet? Would the way we dress or the way we drive, walk, talk or eat put us off from meeting each other? The internet has allowed me to meet people albeit online,that I might not meet otherwise. Peoople that I might pass on the street unnoticed. People who live in foreign countries, people in cities in the same country that I would not visit, or people that I would not approach out of shyness. On the internet you find the comfort of strangers and an openess that is much harder to find in reality.

Is this because we have the chance to delete and correct our thoughts before we press 'enter' when we speak online? Or is it the fact that we know deep down that we might not ever meet the people that we share our inner monlogues with that we open up? Each of us behind the relative safety of our monitors...

It's not a criticism but I guess a roundabout way of praising the Internet for letting me meet and hear the voices of those that I might never have heard without it.

So if you're reading this...'Hi, pleased to meet you, tell me more...'

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

My family just got the internet in March, and since then, I've had the pleasure of at least feeling like I can travel beyond the confines of my home, taking in the thoughts and experiences of people from other countries and thus feeling like I have actually been there, to an extent. I only read one American blog, everything else is written by people who live in countries I want to go to, like Britain and Japan.

I think anonymity has a lot to do with it. I am free to say things I would never say to strangers in public. Get things off my chest that, would not be understood or would be lost in the speech medium.

I like the ability to think out what I write before I write. So many times I have tried to tell someone something and they completely missed it, not because of them, but because I could have said it better. The same thing happens with my blog, but much less often. I avoid chat rooms for the same reason.

Jeez.

This is the longest comment I've ever written. Did it make any sense?

~E~

4:41 PM  
Blogger x said...

I have a slightly different opinion on that. I never write anything I wouldn't say. And I don't see any of the people I talk to online as strangers. To me many of these people are friends, or friends in the making. Nor is anonymity an isuue. I am Stevi Moshogianni and you all know my email address and all of my Instant Messenger identities.
What the internet does (NOT chat rooms which are horrible and even lonelier than boring parties)is that it lets you choose the people you want to meet. If I see in your interests that you are into heavy metal and motorbikes, maybe I won't try and talk to you because I would have nothing to say. That to me is freedom. But everything else is just like in any other relationship. We talk every day about things I talk to my other friends too. This is more so in IMs because sometimes there, you really get to know somebody even better than in the outside world.
Also, the joys and the disappointments of these relationships are the same as in any other. People appear and you are happy, they disappear and your feelings vary from sadness to surprise.
And I really hope to meet most of you some day.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Chat rooms are horrible! I've been in a chat room once or twice, and if you ever go into one, never go into the political ones. You will either be pounced upon or utterly ignored.

To clarify, the more I read you guys' thoughts and opinions, the less I think of you as strangers. I would be happy to call you my friends!

~E~

6:56 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

When I first started blogging - wait, that's not true, when I first started my current blog I did so mostly to get my creative side producing something again...anything - even if it was "here's some stuff I did today." I let a few friends, mostly the people IN the stories, have access to it. The fact that strangers found it and said hello was quite strange, and then interesting, so I started to say hello back.

I don't write anything I wouldn't actually say, but I do write about things I wouldn't necessarily bring up in conversation. I do sometimes wish my blog would precede me, as I can be shy in person - have you read my back-story? Wonderful, pleased to meet you!

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home